Monday, March 25, 2013

Shrimp Scampi

OMG not only does this dish take less that 30 minutes but it tastes like you were slaving away on it all day. Everyone in my family loves this dish and asks for it frequently, including my picky eight year old. I found this one on Pinterest, surprise! If originally comes from the Barefoot Contessa, who I love but her pounds of butter don't usually suite my trying-to-be-healthy-but-not-100%-of-the-time attitude.

As usual, I tweaked a few things. I don't have a zester and don't see the need to buy a lemon for the zest, so I skip it. I also didn't add fresh squeezed lemon juice or lemon wedges, just my preference.

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil
Salt
Linguine noodles - amount depends on how many you are feeding, I usually keep all ingredients the same and just adjust the past portion
6 tbls butter
5 tbls olive oil, I use a little less butter and oil if its just three of us
3 tbls garlic, we like garlic so I keep it at this amount
2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined, I find mine frozen and fully cooked with tails on but I just run them under water until they are thawed and pull the tails off before cooking them
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 c fresh parsley or 1-2 tsp dried
lemon juice, between 1/8-1/2 cup depending on how much you are making
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes



Cook the noodles according the directions on the package. Meanwhile, in a skillet melt butter and oil together. Add garlic and cook until tender being careful not to burn it. Add the shrimp and cook until they are cooked through if using raw or just until they are coated nicely with the sauce if they are already cooked. Add pepper, parsley, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes and simmer to combine flavors. Once pasta is done, drain and combine pasta and shrimp together and serve!

Seriously this dish is amazing. Perfect summer meal too because it is light and quick, yet filling. I didn't use anything from my Bountiful Basket this time, but adding asparagus pieces or broccoli would be delicious I am sure! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment